|October 25th 2016:
With 73,100 having been reached on 1st October, I decided to make a new version of the wildwinds DVD. Since the last one in Jan/Feb 2016 I have installed a new PC with Windows 7 (my beloved XP is still in use in my library upstairs, bless it's little cotton socks).
Several of my trusty old programs (some dating back to Windows 95!), which worked perfectly on XP 32 bit, either could not be installed on the new Win7 64 bit, or they didn't work even in XP mode. Because 100,000 html files need to be modified for the DVD (to make the links point to the DVD's folder structure and not to the website's structure) I couldn't use my old search and replace program, so I downloaded the very good FAR from sourceforge (and no, there was no adware or malware in it). Then I discovered that there were literally hundreds of varieties of the top html block (the part showing the wildwinds logo, banner ad and drop-down menus).
These varieties all had one or more tiny differences, e.g. an extra space or not, an empty line or not, a space or no space between tags, lower case or upper case, short or long links etc. etc. and it took a nightmarish full 4 days of work just replacing all occurrences of that top html block on the DVD version.
So I took some time off and played around with saving the text block as a separate entity and then just calling it up using a short command on the html pages, (so next time I make a new DVD version I just need to replace that command which is identical on all html pages - and no more 4 days spent messing about hunting down variations.)
The problem is that no matter how I set the width, (e.g. using 100%), the top section is a little bit narrower than it should be. At the time of writing I have added the call-up command line to all the /byz, /rsc, /brit, /celtic, /imp, /SE, /sear5 and /sg pages on wildwinds (they were the easiest - RIC and Greece are the biggies I need to do next).
I will keep trying to find a solution to the width thing but until then I hope that the narrower strip at the top of the screen does not cause too much inconvenience. The width that you see also depends on your display resolution settings. The higher the resolution, the narrower the strip. I will be happy to receive any feedback about this.
|March 8th 2016:
We hit the 72,000 coins mark a few days ago ! That's over 17,000 more than when I took over wildwinds when Dave passed away. Actually it is more than 17,000 new coins because I have been getting rid of a lot of the poor or tiny images and have been clearing out the old Sear 2008 pages, because that book has now been superceded by the 5 new Sear volumes.
I was at the Numismata show in Munich at the weekend and it was lovely to meet up with some of the owners of stores who have kindly given me permission to use their coins over the years, too many to mention here. One great moment was when my friend John Aiello took me to dinner with "BCD", one of the greatest numismatists and collectors of our time.
I also visited the Staatliche Münzsammlung (Bavarian State Coin collection) and of course although not all of their massive collection (SNG Munich) is on display, those that are on display are very impressive. They also sell some books, so I bought the Overbeck book of lead tesserae for the bargain price of 15 Euros (I've seen it for sale on ebay and Amazon for over 40 Euros).
|October 1st 2015.
I just checked my xls list of wildwinds content numbers and can tell you all that the following numbers of coins have been added so far in 2015:
The biggest differences in folder numbers since January 2015 are imperial coins (including Provincials) with nearly 1,100 additions and Greek civic coins with nearly 510 additions. 370 coins and their entries have been removed or moved from the old Sear 1988 folder and 26 grotty examples have been removed from the RSC folder.
|August 8th-9th 2015
This weekend I uploaded a few imperial and lots of Provincial coins which have been waiting in my "to add" folder since June.
Cities with new entries are Abdera (Spain), Alexandria, Anchialus, Antandrus, Antioch (Pisidia), Antioch (Syria), Apollonia Illyria, Apollonia Mordiaeum, Ascalon, Attaleia, Bagis, Caesarea, Caesarea Panias, Carthage, Creteia-Flaviopolis, Dionysopolis, Elaea, Ephesos, Gordus-Julia, Hadrianotherai, Hierocaesarea, Hyrkanis, Isinda, Kios, Magydus, Markianopolis, Maroneia, Mopsus, Mostene, Nicaea, Nikopolis, Perga, Perga, Philadelphia (Lydia), Philippopolis, Sagalassos, Saitta, Sala, Sardes, Serdica, Side, Stratonikeia-Flaviop., Tabae, Tarsos, Tegea, Temnos, Thessaly Koinon, Thyateira, Tralles, Zela and Zephyrion.
There are some additional civic city coins waiting (not provincials) which should also be online soon.
|June 16th 2015
At random intervals I am getting rid of all the coins in the old (1988) Sear list. These are the coins listed in the /sear/ directory.
Many of the coins in that /sear/ directory are either too small and illegible, or in very poor condition or the description and/or attribution is incorrect. Nicer ones are being used to replace poorer ones on the appropriate emperor's page.
I am doing this when I have time, sometimes during the Swiss daytime, sometimes at night, so it is possible that, if you happen to be looking at one of the /sear/ pages (/sear5/ pages are not affected) images, text or the html page may suddenly disappear. This is because the page you are looking at was overwritten when I uploaded the new files, whilst you were viewing.
In addition, I just received the new Sear Volume 5 (Constantine II to Romulus Augustus) but it will take ages to add the new Sear references to the emperors' pages.
If anyone with the new Sear Vol. 5 would like to help, just pick an emperor and let me know. All you need is a text editor (not Word or similar because these add lots of excess lines to the html code, but a genuine text editor such as NoteTab, NoteTab Pro or similar which saves files 1:1.